Jason Moody

The morning of May 18, 2006 was like any other day. Jason was a Junior in high school and Bonnie was a Freshman. I was working as a substitute teacher at the same school. School went like any other day for the past 6 months. The afternoon came and it was time to go home.

Jason was waiting for me by the car. Bonnie was staying after school for Drivers education.

At 5:30 I was getting ready to go pick up Bonnie from the school and take her to Girl Scouts. She was having dinner there and the girls were getting their badges they had earned all year. As I was getting ready to leave, I asked Jason if he wanted to come and get a free meal with us. He started laughing and said that he had wanted to stay home and rest because tomorrow was the first day of their final exams. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary about this so I left and picked up Bonnie. We stayed at Girl Scouts long enough for Bonnie to get her awards and then eat. Then we went to the Nursing Home where my mother was living and visited with her for about 30 minutes.

We returned home about 7:30, Bonnie let our two dogs outside, and then she was in the house. I wasn't really paying attention when I heard her say, it can't be, no it can't be true. By the time I got the dogs into the house Bonnie was screaming that Jason was dead. He's dead, he's dead. I found the note on the table and proceeded to call 911. Within 5 minutes a deputy was at my door, and he went straight to Jason's room. He told me that I had to get Bonnie calmed down, and to get the dogs calmed down because Jason was still alive. He called the dispatch again and told them to hurry up with the ambulance.

Jason had never showed any signs of depression, but in March of 2006 he was put on a medication for his acne. The side effects for the medication was a long list with suicidal tendencies one of them. Jason was taken to Byrd Regional hospital in Leesville and then a couple of hours later he was air evacuated to LSU Medical Center in Shreveport. Gary and I followed a couple of hours later. For ten long days we stayed at the hospital. Once in awhile the nurses would let us know that it would be a long road ahead of us.

Early Monday morning, (Memorial Day), May 29, 2006 at 3:30 a.m., I answered the phone and it was a call that no parent wants to hear. I was being told that we had to get to the hospital as soon as possible that Jason had taken a turn for the worse. As soon as we arrived we spoke to the doctor. She told us that Jason's brain was swelling and that they were trying all they could to see if he was brain dead. Around 5:30 I was sitting by his side and holding his hand. I remember seeing the words Organ Donation in my mind, and the most peaceful feeling came over me. The whole week that we were in Shreveport nobody had approached us about Organ Donation so I know that this was God giving me a Word of Knowledge. I talked to Gary and Bonnie, and told them about it, and they were in agreement. I asked if we could speak to Jason's doctor, and they ushered us into the family room. The doctor came in, along with the hospital chaplain. The hospital chaplain started to go into her little spiel, and at that point I stopped her and told them we had made a decision. We wanted to donate Jason's organs. The chaplain (female) looked at the doctor (female) and the doctor looked backed at the chaplain. At this point the chaplain told us that the doctor was a good Christian woman and she had been praying all week that we would donate Jason's organs. The doctor then assured us that they would be running a lot of tests throughout the morning to see if he was, in fact, brain dead.

At 2:54 p.m. on May 29, 2006 Jason was pronounced brain dead. He ended up saving four people through his organ donations the day he died. He also helped a lot of people with his tissue recovery. I don't understand why Jason was taken away from us, but I do know that God took away a very good Christian young man and that he needed him more than how we needed him here.